List:       kde-look
Subject:    RE: OK/yes
From:       "Glen Parker" <glenebob () nwlink ! com>
Date:       1999-09-17 18:22:07

We'd like to make things intuitive, but let's not take that to mean we have
to be overly terse.  When people actually do read the text we want it to
make sense to a human ;-)

> Supply enought buttons to create a simple question:
>
> File exists:
> [Overwrite] [cancel]

Too terse.  How about
"This file already exists and will be overwritten."
[OK] [Cancel]  OR  [Overwrite] [Cancel]
Or,
"This file exists.  Would you like to choose a different file name?"
[Yes] [No] [Cancel]

> Save before closing?
> [Save] [Save as] [don't save] [Cancel]

Too many buttons IMHO, and too terse.  I really like the one used commonly
(e.g. in kedit etc.)
'Don't Save' is a bit much for a button IMHO.

> Print file?
> [Ok]  [Cancel]

*Way* too terse, and the question doesn't match the answers.  Since I would
assume the user has asked to print the file explicitly, I would suggest
OK/Cancel is good, with a question to match.  But really, if you want to
confirm a print, it's better IMO to just pop up the print setup dialog.

< whacky dos question snipped ;-) >

> Shure to remove dir X and everything it contains?
> [OK] [Cancel]

Bassically good, just needs to be reworded slightly, as again the question
doesn't match the buttons, such as
"Directory X is not empty; all files will be removed."
[OK] [Cancel]

Note that this warning doesn't make much sense if the dir is empty - it
should be checked first, and just go ahead and delete an empty dir.
Warnings of impending doom when there is no impending doom are bad bad bad.

Glen