List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Dialog colour flashes
From:       Rik Hemsley <rik () rikkus ! demon ! co ! uk>
Date:       1999-09-17 14:33:27

#if Derek
> I'd thought of that, but didn't want to complicate things on my first
> suggestion of the idea. Things like colour blindness (or monochrome
> monitors) need to be worked around with configuration options. Changing
> the colours (from the default Red, Yellow, Green) is one way, or adding
> pixmaps, blinking or words to the flash is another. Sound is also an
> option for the seriously visually impaired (play the Microsoft jingle
> when something bad is about to happen? ;-)

I don't have a sound card. I hate things that blink at me. That leaves you
with pixmaps. We have them already. See QMessageBox.

So this has already been addressed, and in a manner which does what you
suggest, and also uses the only realistic option.

Sorry to rain on your parade, it's ok to question things that have been
done a certain way for years, because certainly many are only the way they
are due to bad design becoming a standard via force (e.g. some MS stuff),
or due to lazy programming + design with no HCI in mind. In this case,
however, I think the solution has already been found.

Cheers,
Rik