List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Quit/Close: please check site.
From:       John Summerfield <summer () OS2 ! ami ! com ! au>
Date:       1999-09-16 0:39:58

> [snip]
> > I think that people do expect that clicking on the X-Button in the windows
> > decoration is destructive and does NOT cause an automatic save! If the
> > programmer really thinks that he wants to save the document in this case
> > he must ask for comfirmation with an Ok/Cancel modal dialog.
> Didn't mean, that a X-Button should save automatically the document.
> Sure: a dialog-box must appear, which asks you if you wanna save the
> document. It must also appear when I press Quit (fires same action as
> X-Button).

I'm a user. I've been using computers over 30 years. I hate confirmation
dialogues. I want menu item that says "Close." I would settle for "File"
which some in IBM use to mean "save and close."

There must also be a menu item for closing without saving.

> But to find back to the point: hope you'll agree that no Close is needed
> :-)

No. Never.

> How do we interact with e.g. an editor? Normally we edit a document,
> save it and want to close the "§$"§ window. Some like to use Quit and
> some like to use the X-Button. If somebody forgot to save the document
> before => dialog-box :-) All in all: this sounds fine to me.

gnome-edit, epm, tedit edit files in one window; WordPro has subordinate
windows within the space of its main window; WordPerfect and lpex open
separate windows for each document.

In all cases, there's a menu item to close the current document. IMV the
close item has a well-defined meaning and is needed in all these cases.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield