List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Quit/Close: please check site.
From:       Martin Konold <konold () alpha ! tat ! physik ! uni-tuebingen ! de>
Date:       1999-09-15 13:49:40

On Wed, 15 Sep 1999, Peter Penz wrote:

> Ok: in X-Window we don't really have a Multiple Document Interface like
> in MS-Windows, where you have a Close. To make it short: imagine, that

X Window does have no concept of applications at all. X considers all
windows to be equal. Some KDE applications use an MDI. (I do not like MDI)

> you have an application like KWord with 3 windows with different text in
> it open. Now imagine (!) that there would be NO CLOSE AND NO QUIT in the
> file-menu. Maybe you'll be surprised, that you still have the same (!!!)
> functionality and can do anything as before:
> - Close a window with the X-Button
> - Change documents with new/open/save...
>
> Sure: the developer has to take care that after hitting the X-Button the
> document will be saved, but he has to do that allready. He has also to
> care, that after the last window is closed the application quits, but
> that's no problem (I asked Reggie, who implements KWord).

I think that people do expect that clicking on the X-Button in the windows
decoration is destructive and does NOT cause an automatic save! If the
programmer really thinks that he wants to save the document in this case
he must ask for comfirmation with an Ok/Cancel modal dialog.

Yours,
 -- martin

// Martin Konold, Herrenbergerstr. 14, 72070 Tuebingen, Germany  //
KDE:  A stable GUI for a reliable OS.