List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Quit/Close: please check site.
From:       Peter Penz <peter.penz () jk ! uni-linz ! ac ! at>
Date:       1999-09-15 15:36:34

Martin Konold wrote:
[snip]
> I think you should drop the "..." after Save.
Fixed.

> Save as shall open a network transparent modal save dialog which allows
> not only for choosing the filename but also for the location.
Fixed.

> Print should also not contain the "..." dots. It shall simply print like
> Save shall simply save. Printer settings should be made with an extra
> entry.
Currently not fixed - I've to check to current behaviour of the
applications first and will add another entry like "Printer
settings...".

> Print Preview shall imho not have "..." either. Actually I do favour not
> to offer an extra Print Preview entry in the standard menu.
Have dropped it. You're right: it's not a real standard-entry...

> > I dropped the Close - it's to confusing with the "blank window"; you
> > don't need to have a blank window. We can't prevent apps. having a
> > Close, but you don't need it in the meaning of "Close document". The
> > (wrong) meaning of "Close window" is done by Quit.
>
> Please be aware that there do exist MDI programs which definetely need
> Close.
It needs very much energy for me to explain things again and again after
2 months, but no problem ;-)

Ok: in X-Window we don't really have a Multiple Document Interface like
in MS-Windows, where you have a Close. To make it short: imagine, that
you have an application like KWord with 3 windows with different text in
it open. Now imagine (!) that there would be NO CLOSE AND NO QUIT in the
file-menu. Maybe you'll be surprised, that you still have the same (!!!)
functionality and can do anything as before:
- Close a window with the X-Button
- Change documents with new/open/save...

Sure: the developer has to take care that after hitting the X-Button the
document will be saved, but he has to do that allready. He has also to
care, that after the last window is closed the application quits, but
that's no problem (I asked Reggie, who implements KWord).

=> no Close needed - you don't add any functionality with a Close-Entry!
A Quit won't be needed too, but I got mails from some people who say,
they don't close their window with the X-Button and want their Quit to
do that => Quit is redundant and fires the same action as the X-Button.

Cheers!

Peter