List:       kde-look
Subject:    RE: Standard questions and answers
From:       "Glen Parker" <glenebob () nwlink ! com>
Date:       1999-09-15 10:17:57

OK and Cancel are nice standard answers that are very obvious.  Sometimes,
instead of making the possible answers better fit the question, it makes
more sense to make the question fit well-defined answers.  For example, I
often ask something like
"What you are about to do could cause a temporal distortion.  Choose 'OK' to
continue."
The knee-jerk reaction is to hit 'Cancel', and it works.

I like to use the Yes/No questions only when OK/Cancel makes no sense
whatever, like
"Would you like a beer with that pizza?"
;-)

The difference I think is that on the one hand, the user has asked to do
something...  You aren't asking if they want to quit, because (duh), they
just said that!  It's a warning and a chance to back down.  Yes/No only
makes sense when you are asking the user if they'd like to do something they
*didn't* ask about.  So, 'No' means "No, I don't want to do that, stupid",
while 'Cancel' means "Oh, well, forget it then."

"Would you like a beer with that pizza?" -> "Yes/No"

as apposed to

"You're going to get a beer if you order pizza." -> "OK/Cancel"

Glen