List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Dialogs: How to layout
From:       John Summerfield <summer () OS2 ! ami ! com ! au>
Date:       1999-09-10 8:05:12

> > I think {OK Cancel} should always be together at the right/bottom of the
> > dialog.  Apply should be added at the left or top of OK, and the help butto
> > should be left/top alligned.
>
> Is this based on anything other than opinion? All the research I have
> ever seen (and I do study Human Computer Interaction) suggests that
> users work faster and happier if the things they want most are to the
> left of the window, because that's where the eye goes first when
> scanning for something.
>
> Consistency is a major point, but so is ease of use for people who don't
> know enough to recognise the consistencies. Having the most used buttons
> consistently on the left/top has been proven to be the most usable
> combination.

And as a user of IBM software for many years, I wish to say this:

IBM has done the best job on a GUI that I've seen (which, I have to cede,
is limited to Intel and IBM mainframes. Well, actually the mainframes can
hardly be said to have a GUI.)

KDE does a lot of things well, and most things better than Windows, but
only some things better than my favourite OS.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield