List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Copying the Windows interface
From:       Rik Hemsley <rik () rikkus ! demon ! co ! uk>
Date:       1999-08-29 22:26:03

On Sun, 29 Aug 1999, Marko Rosic wrote:
> I agree it has to be a neutral thema, but it would be the best if it would
> come with three diferent theme/widget styles: Motif(Irix)/MacOS/Win
> it would be nice but not necesary to have: OS/2 and NeXt, and some other
> popular Desktops...

There is already a NeXT style theme for KDE 2. You can make an OS/2 style if
you want. Shouldn't be hard.

> Thats where you are wrong. It is not my problem but problem of Linux and
> most of it's users.
> As you know KDE is not the only desktop, there are an enormus noumber of
> Window Managers.
> Most of distributions come with few of them, for example RH 6.0 comes with
> GNOME and KDE.
> So most users have a situation that they have several Window Managers, all
> with their own icons and icon paths. In Window Maker you can easily add
> another pixmap path to the paths list, and use those icons, you will agree
> it is a far easier than making a ton of symlinks, and I would like to use
> some of GNOME's icons in KDE...

Um.. ln -s /usr/share/icons/* ~/.kde/share/icons/

Not that hard ;)

> > It is necessary because some of us have to have control over what our users are
> > doing. KDE is probably on more multiple-user setups than single user and having
> > a 'personal' menu isn't exactly show-stoppingly difficult for the single user.
>
> I don't see why is necessary to have control over someones meny? It's OK
> to have control over instalations premissions and other stuff, but what
> one has in it's meny is his personal stuff.

It IS necessary, believe me. Talk to any sysadmin and/or IT manager and they'll
tell you the same. There are many, many reasons, but I'll leave figuring them
out as an exercise for the reader.

> All the others WM's don't have that type of problem.

Um, well I used to give users fvwm, and didn't allow them to change their
menus. I built a standard set, and added extra things where people needed them.

Cheers,
Rik

--
KDE - Colour Outside The Lines - http://www.kde.org