List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Candidates for replacing 'Trash'
From:       "Andrew B. Arthur" <arthur99 () global2000 ! net>
Date:       1999-08-28 17:50:04

> zander@microweb.nl wrote:
>
>> Solution(s):
>> - make it foolproof from the GUI, allow Windows-like hacking tools which
>>   play with the config files.

I don't care for that solution -- hacking tools are great, but they are
usually poorly integrated -- present an overwhelming amount of options that
an user should never be presented to all at once, and typically are quite
arcane to use.

>> - Allow people to use the desktop on different levels. An expert level if
>>   you like.

This is a good idea. Stay with the typical modes popular in other programs:
Beginner, Server User (present those options required for Server usage), and
Expert User.

Changing your user status needs to be easily done -- such as in the KDE
Wizard or the Control Panel.

> I guess with 2.0 it will be easy to manipulate themes and within this
> functunality also the trashcan may be modified (I guess anything else
> does not make sense.

Themes should also have an option to change the trash icon. But that should
also be configurable at an user level, if pratical.

> Concerning to prohibit the user from making mistakes: In case s/he does
> know how to change the trash icon, s/he will be able to understand what
> that means...

But what about mal- themes/installers that make the Trash can look like a
normal folder?

Could this be a security risk of sorts? A Trojan horse could easily
overwrite the user's trash rc, making the trash can look like a folder. This
could be a bad / confusing thing.

Maybe when you open up the trash can Window, the background behind the url
bar is bright red <indicating danger stuff in this folder is waiting to be
deleted!>?

Thanks,

Andrew Arthur a.k.a. AArthur
arthur99@global2000.net