List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Candidates for replacing 'Trash'
From:       Corrin Lakeland <corrin.lakeland () xtra ! co ! nz>
Date:       1999-08-26 21:01:51

> It also really confuses me to have different names of directories on the
> desktop and in the filesystem. The original shortcuts then should become
> invisible.

This doesn't sound too difficult for KDE specific directories (trash, desktop,
etc.) where it wouldn't be hard to i18n the directory name.  However renaming
'mail' to 'brief' would cause a lot of problems.

An interesting fix would be to use a trans.tbl file which is commonly used by
iso9660 cdroms to get OS independant filenames. This would mean you could keep
the filenames the same but the filesystem would map accesses correctly so both
KDE and ls pick up the locale specific names. I'm not sure if this is ext2
compatibile or what sort of performance hit it causes.

> I also would appreciate to call the desktop "Arbeitsplatz" in
> german, and so will others in different languages.

Of course 'Arbeitsplatz' translates into English as 'workplace' rather than
'desktop' which makes more sense in English too.  I think the main reason for
using desktop is that both Windoze and MacOS refer to their root window as the
desktop.

Corrin Lakeland
--
Corrin Lakeland <lakeland@cs.otago.ac.nz>             Phone 64 6 876 5219
Department of Computer Science                Faculty of Business Studies