List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Colored Desktopbuttons
From:       Rik Hemsley <rik () rikkus ! demon ! co ! uk>
Date:       1999-07-10 11:13:57

On 10-Jul-99 Rachel Greenham wrote:
> Drag-and-drop to die for - completely pervasive

Coming soon to a KDE near you. It was difficult with the old scheme but now
we are able to do DnD even to/from legacy apps like Netscape.

> Window menu on middle mouse click

Possible. For each KTMainWindow, install a global event filter and steal middle
mouse presses. You'd also need to copy the main menu into a QPopup, but it's
entirely feasible and not necessarily hard work as it'd just be implemented in
KTMainWindow. I'll try doing it and let you know how it goes.

> Icons on the iconbar [panel-ish] for each running application, not each
> window.

Again possible, all you have to do is to write your own panel ;) Seriously, you
could rip off kpanel's code and mess with it. The taskbar is actually a part of
the panel, so you could just change the behaviour. If you give me a complete
description of how RISC OS's iconbar works (I forget, it's years now...) then I
might even get around to it :)

> Anti-aliased fonts everywhere on the desktop (close to the quality you see
> on Acrobat Reader, TT doesn't cut it)

Not a KDE issue. Antialiased fonts will be in the next major version of XFree I
believe. Hold your breath.

> !Zap. I know technically that's an application and not a GUI feature, but
> it's such a fine application. (Best programmers editor I've ever used
> anywhere.)

Have you tried all of: Vim, EMACS, Nedit ?

What's missing from these that would be necessary to make them as good as !Zap ?
BTW I don't volunteer to port !Zap !

Cheers,
Rik

--