List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: [kde] Re: The KDE Free Qt Foundation
From:       Daniel.Egger () t-online ! de (Daniel Egger)
Date:       1998-04-13 21:11:28

On Mon, 13 Apr 1998, Stephan Kulow wrote:

>Ah, you're comparing KDE with a window manager.

 Hm, I mentioned kwm, didn't I?

>It's maybe true, that KDE
 programs uses a little bit more memory,
>because the C++ compilers are not
 good enough to make small binaries
>but they are not slower!

 Bigger programs with same functionality will always be slower as
 long as the assembler didn't fill the more space with NOPs :))

>A friend of mine told me, that he has tried KDE at home, but he said, it
 was
>too fat for him, when running netscape and xemacs!

 Before I use netscape I could as well use the whole KDE suite :))

>And gimp isn't the
 smallest applications too.

 When I compare GIMP with kfm, GIMP is the one using less ressources
 and less space on HD providing more functionality .... but it's stupid to
 compare them anyway :))

>So, if you need a small window manager to run a fat applications, do so,
>but leave alone the speed of the toolkit.

 Hey.... the windowmanager kwm was only a sideaspect.... originally
 I was comparing the toolkits....

>I could say, Motif is faster
 than Qt because netscape opens window faster in
>Afterstep than it does
 in Qt, but this would be complete nonsense.

 Kind of ....
 I think I'm aware that Qt and Gtk both handle Gadgets and sorts not windows...

--

Servus,
       Daniel