List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: [kde] Re: The KDE Free Qt Foundation
From:       Kevin Forge <forgeltd () usa ! net>
Date:       1998-04-11 0:19:25

Daniel Egger wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Apr 1998, Mike Kondratov wrote:
> >I think that KDE will be the standard, because it was started first.
>  No, it won't.... see below....
>
> > Look at Linux... it is not as good as GNU Hurd, but it was
> > available first.
>
> You made me interested.... I think I'll get it and implement the
> things being better than those in Linux into Linux....

The HURD started off to be truly Microkernel and totally modular.
This is in essence better than the monolithic model of Linux.
However they have not gotten the development support needed to
make an actual product that is superior to Linux for the
simple reason that Linux was there and working and even GPL
developers prefer to improve that which works than to build
practically from scratch.

>  But I rather doubt that there will be many things.... I think your
>  opinion about the different devlopingbegins is not right..... Being
>  earlier developed doesn't make DOS a better envrionment than linux....

True.  What maters is earlier spreading.  This is why Apple must
do the imposible to beet the wintell mariage.  Produce a superior
product at a lower price and that works with cheaper parts and
suports ALL old dos/win software.  Then they will have a ghost of
a chance.  In the mean time DOS tuck 90% of the market and has kept
it right up to now ( onless you beleave the mith about Windows 95
not being DOS )

> > There for it became far more popular then Hurd
>
>  More popular != better....

That maters little.  Linux is better than Windows, yet none of my
customers want to tuch it.  I still "smugle it unto the PCs I sell
in a small ( 300 to 950 meg ) partition with explicit instructions
that I will deleat it on request ... Nobody has requested yet but
getting them to eaven look at it is an uphill battle.

> > Gnome will become more popular only if GTK would be same quality or
> > better then Qt, have a better look and feel (functionality too)
>
>  GTK has several advantages over Qt. For example it is faster,
>  it is completely free, it's leaner, it's being developed faster,
>  wishes of users are welcome and will be  implemented, the
>  development is open for everyone who wants to invest some  time.....

This is all good and I will tell you that the better GTK is the
better KDE will be and vice versa.  All I ask is that they work
well togather.  If this is the case then the 2 desktops will be
in a feature/power/usability war and I personaly will not care who
"wins" since in the Linux comunity it simply means better software
in the end.  ( This isn't like IE vs Netscape where stability was
sacrificed )

> > If not then Gnome people are wasting their time.
>
>  I have to admit that I rather dislike Gnome but KDE isn't any better....

Too bad.  I like KDE.  I haven't been able to get GNOME working but
I bet I will like it too once I do ( I'll try again in 2 weeks.

--
A computer without Windows 95 and Internet Explorer is like
a piece of chocolate cake without Catsup and Mustard.