List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: App naming conventions
From:       Peter Putzer <pputzer () edu ! uni-klu ! ac ! at>
Date:       1997-06-23 19:10:45

At 14:37 23.06.1997 +0100, Rich wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I like Tajs naming convention. To make it short
>>
>> 1) kapp if it is only a filename
>> 2) KApp if the user gets in touch with the name
>>
>> Is this correct ?
>>
>> Bye
>> Torben
>
>I thought we'd decided that the all filename should be lower case and prefixed
>with k (like in 1), classes should be like 2 and the name of .kdelnk files
>should be simply the name of the task which was why I changed the
>KPaint.kdelnk to be Paint.kdelnk in v0.2. Shouldn't this be specified in the
>KDE RFC?

Echo that. I find it much more reasonable for the average user (and for
myself ;-) to click on an entry labeled "Time Tracker" than "karm" or "KArm"
(despite all tooltips)
Or for example kpstat... isn't "ProcessControl" much more intuitive than
"kpstat"?
Short, concise filenames are great for command line environments, but KDE is
aimed at getting away from that, so why use an old-style naming convention?

Peter

BTW:
I believe help files should be named/stored in the kapp/kapp.html fashion.
I also believe there really _SHOULD_ be a "standard" KDE way of naming
buttons (some apps use "close" to exit about-boxes, some "ok", etc.) and
menu entries

Why not discuss all these "standardization" issues now (but not to the
extent of the quite useless "copy'n'paste"-thread ;-), vote on the subject
quickly and then close the matter one-and-forall?