List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Sound
From:       Bernd Johannes Wuebben <wuebben () math ! cornell ! edu>
Date:       1996-12-02 11:16:48

Hello Matt,

	I have been thinking about this for a while now. I personally want
sound support, definitely. :) I have tried the sound modules like
FvwmAudio and am not at all satisfied with them. I have also started some
experiments on my own and as of know the conclusion I have draw from all
this is that we need a soundserver that runs in the background an is
capable of playing sounds itself ( this is different from FvwmAudio unless
I think you use rplay and compile it into the module which I have done and
haven't further investigated..) In order to remain Platform independend
the only way to go at this point is NAS. This works, is well established,
for free, and compiles almost everywhere in a snap. There is ever already
a Qt class wrapper to the NAS api available. ( I think it is called qaudio
written by warwick ? sorry am not completely sure on this off the cuff..)

We need to look into all of this. In the end it seems to me sound support
must be built into the window manager and (?) into the widgets, that is we
have to write wrappers.....

Bernd