List:       kde-look
Subject:    "UP" Browsing Button
From:       Henry Stanaland <henryst () MIT ! EDU>
Date:       2002-10-05 20:36:33

Recently I had a friend(who I've had with Mandrake for a while) who
normally uses Netscape.  I tried to get her to use Konqueror and the
very first thing she said was "Why is there an up button...I've never
seen an up button?"

But I didn't have a suggestion for making this UP arrow seem more normal,
other than only putting it in the file manager profiles, but not the browser
profile.  Doesn't seem like a great idea, since some people casually switch
between both.  So I just put it in the back of my mind.  But recently I tried
Lycoris for a couple of days and I think they had a rather good fix by
distinguishing the UP arrow graphically.

In addition to prostituting myself to Lycoris, I did the same with Gnome2 for
a couple of days and realized Nautilus has the LEFT and RIGHT arrows before
the UP arrow.  I think this is a good solution too because currently the UP
arrow has THE best place in the toolbar, yet the BACK arrow is the most
widely used(for web browsing anyways).

What do you guys think about this?  Is it negligible or would giving the UP
arrow less prominence make Window's users feel more comfortable.

Wouldn't making this the KDE default be a simple thing of editing an XML file?

Regards,
Henry Stanaland
MIT Class of 2003

P.S. You'll be happy to know that I've happily returned to Mandrake 9.0 and
KDE3.  Lycoris had too many defects and Gnome2 is nice...but I'm only good
with C++.