List:       kde-look
Subject:    Notification queue
From:       Eric Ellsworth <whalesuit () softhome ! net>
Date:       2002-09-03 22:02:16

Hi there,
	It seems to me that there's great potential in KPassivePopup for making a
notification queue.  I've heard many, many complaints about apps or dialogs
stealing the focus from the user.  Nonetheless, it's equally troubling to
have an app block or timeout when it needs only a little bit of direction
from a user.

What if apps directed their messages to the user through a notification queue,
which could use KPassivePopup to keep a list of the things the system wants
to tell the user?  I could envision:
	New mail
	Process ending (if konsole passes the output to the notification queue)
	Apps waiting for user input
	Instant message
	PIM reminders
	Error messages
using the notification queue.
	There would clearly need to message priorities, ways to flush messages, ways
to ignore messages, etc.

Overall, though, I think it could be a nice compact window into what all's
going on in your computer.

Reactions?

Eric