List:       kde-look
Subject:    on value edit fields (i.e. the too small buttons inside)
From:       "Friedrich W. H. Kossebau" <Friedrich.W.H () Kossebau ! de>
Date:       2002-09-02 21:12:57

Hi!

Just noticing another brilliant addition of Michael Goffioul to the
print system (poster print support, see
http://www.geocities.com/kdeprint/poster-support.png) I wonder when he
will finally get the dinner with konqui ;)

But one thing hit me as usually:

Is this all-over-KDE-spreaded style of offering value editing, which can
be found one more time in the above mentioned dialog, really usable?
These tiny buttons inside the edit field, should anybody really use
them? What kind of mouse artists are we supposed to be? If I have a look
at that really big slider to the right, I am not sure.

Am I the only one to think this to be foolish? I see three problems:

1. tiny up/down buttons, hard to hit with the cursor
2. up/down looks like selection of predefined values
3. no idea which values are achieved by which slider position, not even
min/max

Problem 1 should be solved by enlarging the icons. As they then won't
fit anymore one above the other they have to be put somewhere else.
Attached you can see two possibilities of which I like the first one
better as one cannot accidentally click the wrong button.

Problem 2 should be solved by using -/+ symbols for de-/incremental
steps.

Problem 3 should be solved by printing the min/max values to the
corresponding ends. It would be better to have even some values at the
markers but this would result in a too big height I fear.

Okay, one more time I do only complain (although giving a theoretic
alternative solution). But: If at the end of the year I manage to get
the time to start coding for KDE I could rely on your input here :) Why
I don't do it then? Well... perhaps someone else get's inspired and
pleases me (and you and my family and friends ;) now!

So, would do you think?

Friedrich
["valueedit.png" (image/png)]
["valueeditnew.png" (image/png)]