List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Clipboard
From:       Dave Leigh <dave.leigh () cratchit ! org>
Date:       2002-08-07 6:06:28

On Tuesday 06 August 2002 17:06, Aaron J. Seigo wrote something.

Friederich proposed a logical and reasonable improvement to the user
interface, and offered it for discussion. At the time he made that proposal
he did indeed cogently and clearly state the rationale behind it. A purpose
of this forum is to discuss the pros and cons of such things.

You, as well, have made a logical and reasonable argument. You have thought
it out and argue it well. That you are dead wrong doesn't make your argument
any less logical and reasonable. That you were evidently unaware that your
assertions had already been tested historically and proven invalid is a
simple demonstration of the value of experience. I'm sorry to see that you
don't believe that extended experience is a measure of "anything," but from
this perspective, the problems with its lack are apparent. ;)

> these are the assertions you and others here are making. i'm asking for
> proof that these icons actually do this. i'm not saying that if the icons
> are better they won't deliver anything useful, i'm asking "are these icons
> actually better"? personally, i don't think so, but there are ways to prove
> otherwise.
>
> if you choose to reply, please do so with an answer to my question.

The proposal had several aspects, the very least of which was the icons.
Let's broaden the question to include the actual proposal: changed icons,
changed button arrangement, and Klipper integration.

Are these better? Yes, yes, and yes. Originally, I had some qualifications
about this (I thought only the Klipper integration was better than marginal),
but that was before I saved this to draft and did an impromptu survey earlier
tonight. The new button arrangement and icons are significantly easier to
explain to users, and that's where the training benefit lies. With Klipper
integration there is a clear improvement, with strong benefits to established
users while being clearly understandable to newbies.

As for "proof," obviously no one's had time to do a formal study to quantify
the improvement of this brand-new idea, but I've no doubt at all as to what
it would show. I did do a little informal (and individual) training and
survey of my wife and three children (ages 15, 6, and 6) tonight. Not at all
scientific, but I did try to keep it objective. I presented it as a change,
not an improvement, and asked for opinions afterward. All four users
currently understand Cut, Copy, and Paste, and I taught all to use the
computer in the first place. Experience with these functions ranges from a
few months to eight years. Three of them use Windows. I called them in
individually, not as a group. I began by asking them to identify the new
icons without explanation and without showing them the original arrangement
first. I gave them each 15 seconds. One of the four got them all right
without explanation. The rest got two of the three icons right. Oddly enough,
two of them got the 'Cut' and 'Paste' icons right... even though the 'Cut'
icon had changed. Both of them (the twins) mis-identified 'Copy' as 'Put
something on top of something else' even though *that* icon hadn't changed at
all and they were able to correctly identify it in the old arrangement (which
I asked them to do prior to explaining the new layout). In this case, they
said the only reason they knew what it 'Copy' was because it was next to the
scissors, and they knew that meant 'Cut.'

Now, in explaining the new arrangement I did not initially use the words,
'Cut,' 'Copy,' or 'Paste.' To reinforce the association between action and
icon I used the phrases, 'Move to Clipboard,' 'Copy to Clipboard,' and 'Get
from Clipboard.' I explained that the little arrow meant there were more
pages on the clipboard, and you could pull them down (demonstrating what it
would look like with Klipper). After they understood the action and the icon
association, I re-introduced them to the synonymous terms 'Cut,' 'Copy,' and
'Paste' as 'short forms.' It took under three minutes to explain it whole new
layout (including Klipper) to the twins and verify that they understood it,
and something under two minutes to do the same with my oldest son and wife. I
did not address animating the flow to/from the clipboard and document.

Survey time. One thing I learned was that the approach to explaining the
icons was a big part of their understanding. Also, the twins surprised me: I
thought they'd prefer the scissors.
* All said they'd rather use the new layout. I asked why.
* All said that the new buttons 'make more sense.' The twins said they were
"afraid" the scissors would "cut it [the selection] up," (same thing they'd
told me earlier, even though they'd been told otherwise) but that moving it
to the clipboard was "safer"
* Three thought the 'Move to Clipboard' action was better than 'Cut', but
didn't have a problem with CALLING it 'Cut.' (I'm still trying to figure that
one out.) The other understood that it was the exactly the same as 'Cut'
* The same three thought that the 'Copy to Clipboard' icon was more
understandable than Copy, even though it's exactly the same icon in a new
position!
* None said they'd have a problem without the scissors (which, BTW, is the
only icon that actually changes enough to be considered a changed icon rather
than a changed rendering)
* All preferred the paper-as-indicator on the Clipboard icon, which is one
part I thought would cause problems. They liked it better than greying the
icon out,
* None had a problem with the concept of multiple sheets on a clipboard,
although the twins thought it would be better to see the pages. They don't
type much, and use cut and paste mostly in a paint program.

At this point, I personally don't need further proof: I like it, my family
likes it, and "the people on this list don't matter squat" (I read that
somewhere). Seriously, go do your own test.

PS: I did my best, but I couldn't resist this one:

> it applies to the actual icons as well. people do rely on the icon shape to
> navigate.

Everybody but you, that is. We've already established that you "use it w/out
even looking at it ("by touch")"

(Yes, I know you were speaking figuratively, but as I said, it was too good
to resist. BTW, I HOPE you can figure out which statements are
tongue-in-cheek, as I rarely label them. Here's a guide: I attack ideas, not
people.)

--
Dave Leigh, Consulting Systems Analyst
Cratchit.org

Traveling through hyperspace isn't like dusting crops, boy.
		-- Han Solo