List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Clipboard
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () olympusproject ! org>
Date:       2002-08-06 10:31:19

arG! once again, i replied to the wrong copy of the email so it didn't go to
the list ... *sigh*

On Tuesday 06 August 2002 07:24, you wrote:
> Obviously there is no hardship for new users, as they have no knowledge of
> the "old icons" to unlearn,

nor is there any gain for them unless the new icons are remarkably better

> complaint is that there is undue hardship for established computer users:

'undue hardship for established users w/out gain elsewhere' ...  such  a
scenario results in a net LOSS of usability. all i'm asking for is to be
shown the net GAIN.

> > assume 10 million users. assume that each spent 12 minutes learning the
> > relationship between icons and their actions. you have 2 million hours.
>
> You make a very basic mistake here. Users DON'T spend that time learning
> the relationship between the icon and the action. People spend the time
> learning the ACTION ITSELF, not the icon representing that action. When you
> train a user to cut and paste, the bulk of the time is spent explaining CUT
> and PASTE... NOT explaining the icons!

you are confusing training with learnability. learning an interface (as
opposed to learning its functionality) has to do with becoming comfortable
with the the interface itself[1] and getting to the point of being able to
recognize individual parts of it and connect those parts to the action(s) it
represents / gateways. people build relationships in their mind between the
icon and the action. this is why even an experienced user who understands the
concepts of the modern desktop takes a while to get comfortable and
productive when they switch to a new system.

in any case, i outlined a very simple and basic test that can be used to prove
how useful and improved the new icons are (or any UI change, for that matter)
you don't have to take my word for it, just do the testing.

> There are many other areas your rebuttal is flawed: for example, you
> confuse the time taken to learn the positions of buttons on a remote with
> the time taken to learn their function.

again, you confuse functionality training with interface learnability. i'm not
talking about the time to learn their functions: i'm talking about the time
to learn the interface so you can use it w/out even looking at it ("by
touch").

every t.v. addict knows what the channel up and down buttons mean regardless
of the remote (function), but every t.v. addict is also accustomed to their
own remote's configuration (interface):

ask a die-hard couch potato to switch channels on his t.v. at home with their
own remote (and watch them complete the task immediately and w/out problem)
now give him a different remote with the same buttons in a different order and
ask them to repeat the task.
time him and then query as to which remote was more comfortable for them.

therein you will find the difference between "training" and "learnability".
the couch patato will not have learned any new functions (or forgotten any
old functions) but they will be less productive with the new remote[2] for a
significant period of time without gaining anything for it unless the new
remote is somehow fundamentally better[3]

my question is and has been: are the new icons remarkably better or are we
simply going to be making the interface less comfortable for our existing
users for a period of time for no real gain elsewhere?

i have yet to see an answer.

p.s. please don't CC'ing me on reply. i am sub'd to the list.

[1] this includes visual, audio, tactile, ergnomic, etc... features of the
interface

[2] the loss in productivity can be measured by timing how long it takes them
from request (change to channel 4 and adjust the volume to a comfortable
level) to completion of the action. with the new remote, but t.v. junky will
most like have to visually examine the interface, while with the old they
will simply "skate" their fingers to the right locations and press w/out ever
removing their glazed stare from the screen.

[3] e.g. it puts the most commonly used buttons closer together and/or closer
to their thumb, or the remote is easier to hold for longer periods of time,
or it also allows control of their stereo and lights, etc. these wins may
offset the loss, making the new interface worth the cost (time and comfort)

- --
Aaron J. Seigo

    - Albert Einstein