List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Clipboard
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () olympusproject ! org>
Date:       2002-08-05 20:25:50

On Monday 05 August 2002 08:31, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Mon,  5 Aug 2002 04:23, Matt Perry wrote:
> > In the sole intrest of usability, I would personally have a problem
> > with the changed cut/copy/paste icons -- instead of changing the
> > standard icons, (if the application supports it) you should turn on
> > the "Icon + Text" toolbar setting.
>
> This isn't in the interest of *usability* at all, because most of us on
> this list agree that the traditional scissors/two sheets of
> paper/clipboard with paper icons are bad choices for icons. Their
> meaning must be learnt, and isn't obvious.

unfortunately the people on this list don't matter squat. the general user
populace does. and that populace has already spent time doing the learning
you speak to.

i'd love to see the relative learnability difference between the current icons
(esp the Scissors == cut) and the newly proposed ones. read further for why
this is the key point.

> I think it is important to realise that consistancy only goes so far.
> Icons are not identical from OS to OS, or from application to
> application, or even between two versions of the same application. What
> is important is the over-all consistancy, not getting bogged down into
> exact pixel-to-pixel correspondence.

you are correct that pixel-to-pixel correspondence isn't important, but
keeping the metaphores is worth it due to time invested in learning those
metaphores. icons SHOULD use the same metaphores between OSes (imagine how it
would ease transitioning from one environment to another and back again!
imagine the lowered training costs!) and the icons damn well better be the
same between two applications built on the same application framework.

now, good metaphore should not be, as you stated, sacrificed wholesale for
religious adherence to consistency. but consistency should not be needlessly
sacrificed in search of a marginally better metaphore, either.

> The rule "consistancy is good" has a hidden assumption: it assumes that
> the interface is good in the first place. A bad GUI doesn't
> automatically become good just because it is consistant.

there is no such assumption. rather, consistency is one aspect of a good UI. a
UI w/out consistency is bad, but give a bad UI consitency it become "less
bad" because it is now learnable. the time to learnability may still be too
high, however, along with any number of other usability constraints.

> > Changing the cut/copy/paste icon is like changing the shape and size
> > of a Stop sign... you just can't do it.
>
> Of course you can. There is nothing intrinsic about a red octagon that
> means "stop". It is a learnt response, and what is learnt can be
> unlearnt.

no, you can't. because the moment you did that you'd have people whizzing
through 3- and 4-way stops and causing accidents. you'd have to retrain the
whole driving populace (which, given the nature of the change would take
years...) ergo, in practicallity you CAN'T change the "red octagon means
stop" paradigm

> (1) I would never use KDE again if the icons changed, no matter how
> good KDE was in every other feature.
>
> (2) KDE would have to be amazingly good for me to accept the new icons.
>
> (3) So long as KDE was reasonably good, I would accept three slightly
> different icons compared to other GUIs.
>
> (4) I love KDE so much that I'm prepared to put up with a few minor
> differences in the icons compared to other GUIs.
>
> (5) KDE with the new icons rock, the old icons suck.

these all miss the point. the answer is:

6) Changing these icons forces me relearn the interface, rendering it
uncomfortable for me. I now spend several frustrating seconds search for what
used to be automatic for me. I may or may not stay with KDE depending on how
jarring and uncofmortable this experience becomes.

ergo, to change these icons one would need to show a clear and obvious
improvement in the average time to learn the meaning of these icons before
you can risk throwing out the millions of hours spent learning the meaning of
the previous icons.

if you can put your new icons in front of a person and they learn them an
order of magnitude faster than the current ones, then it could possibly be
worth it. otherwise the trade off for "slightly more clear to those of us
examining the inner meaning of the symbols" is too high.

for most people all icons are symbolic and must be learnt. asking them to
relearn the metaphores is a great disservice.

> I do have a point in this little bit of history. Toolbars are here to
> stay. I use them myself, even though they are less efficient, because
> they look cool, and they aren't so terribly inefficient. But changing

actually, they are more efficient than most other elements when used with the
guidelines you offered: action oriented, used for the most often accessed
items, and with consistent and learnable icons.

> the icon in a toolbar isn't a critical change like changing "Open" to
> "Read file", or rearranging the Edit menu. Its a comparitively minor

actually, it is nearly identical. both changes render learned behaviour
worthless and causes the user to have to relearn things. words are just
symbols, as icons are. in fact, words are sometimes easier to change as even
the abstract words usually have commonly agreed upon deffinitions.

- --
Aaron J. Seigo

    - Albert Einstein