List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Moving away from app-centric mimetypes (e.g. kword)
From:       Mariusz Pekala <skoot () poczta ! onet ! pl>
Date:       2002-05-20 9:48:46

On Wed 15 May 2002 00:24, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> > The disadvantages are that, if you move or rename a file, you lose the
> > metadata. But since this is a Proof Of Concept, and not a perfect
> > implementation, perhaps we can live with that limitation in the short
> > term.
>
> Most of my renaming and moving of files is done these days in konqueror
> so if it has support there should be no loss. And for command line there
> could be an alias for "mv" etc that invokes a script doing things that
> are nessecary to keep metadata consistent.
>
> So everything that is missing is someone coding it :(

Personally, I don't like the concept of an alias. You suggest I HAVE to have
it to keep the system working properly?

For people using unix-like filesystems the identifier of a file is not it's
name but it's i-node number. Bind metadata not to a name, but to i-node and
you're safe to rename file. This does not solve the 'copy' problem, anyway.

--MP