List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Moving away from app-centric mimetypes (e.g. kword)
From:       Dave Leigh <dave.leigh () cratchit ! org>
Date:       2002-05-17 5:09:56

On Wednesday 15 May 2002 18:13, Sven Niedner wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 May 2002 15:25, Dave Leigh wrote:
> > As one who suggests this, I don't think it's missing the point at
> > all. The point is, given that all non-filesystem solutions are hacks,
> > you have to pick the best hack out of the pile. IMHO, using metadata
>
> Yes, this might be _one_ implementation of metadata, but we have to take
> care to be upwards compatible once filesystems will support it.
> Breaking backwards compatibility in KDE just because other kernels do
> support meta data would be harmful.

Well, since robust file previews are equally desirable whether or not the
filesystem supports metadata, I don't think upwards compatibility is an issue
in this specific case.

> Thererfore, think "meta data" first, then think implementation. Unless a
> good and generic concept is there, it does more harm than good to have
> a crude hack implemented.

That's why I don't think anything should be done within the current
filesystems beyond file preview and a good search utility.

--
Dave Leigh, Consulting Systems Analyst
Cratchit.org

... I want a COLOR T.V. and a VIBRATING BED!!!