List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: "Next Link" icon.
From:       Dave Leigh <dave.leigh () cratchit ! org>
Date:       2002-04-28 22:30:57

On Sunday 28 April 2002 13:59, Sean Pecor wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> Like most I have a goodly amount of bookmarks, all organized by major
> topics of interest. If I'm in the middle of a coffee break and want to blip
> through the sites in my "Linux News" folder I have to select each link
> individually in turn. This isn't terribly cumbersome, but I thought a nice
> feature would be to:
>
> 1. Have a "New Link in Folder" icon on the main toolbar.
> 2. Remember the folder of the most recently selected bookmark. Default to
> the main folder at startup.
> 3. When the "New Link"... icon is clicked then jump to the next link in the
> folder.
>
> It's not a major feature request, but it seems like it would be useful for
> those who enjoy reading their "online magazines" on a regular basis :). I
> suppose it would be useful for those who frequent online communities; you
> can place bookmarks to "XYZ Community" in a special folder, and blip
> through them to scan for new content in various sections of the community.
> Then those who aren't happy with the navigation provided by the community
> can create their own index to desired content less painfully.

Is it possible to have things such as this as "pluggable add-ons?" There's
probably a term for it... I'm thinking of the way that NeoTrace adds itself
into the MSIE toolbar (not into a separate toolbar, but into MSIE's), or the
Avery Labels wizard ingratiates itself into the Word toolbar.

I see plenty of situations where people love to have neat little features
that just don't pull my cork (or many other people's for that matter, and
which probably don't need to be coded into the base product. Instead they
could be installed separately by people who care about such things and
/appear/ to be part of the product.

I'm hoping that this architecture already exists, but frankly, I don't know
for sure...

<weasel> this message is not meant in any way to negatively characterize
the above idea, or any particular idea stated on this or any forum by any
particular individual, especially if they happen to read this e-mail. It's
the ones who *don't* read this e-mail that I'm talking about. ;) </weasel>

--
Dave Leigh, Consulting Systems Analyst
Cratchit.org

nominal egg: