List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Having Konqueror/kDesktop displaying media volume label
From:       Dave Leigh <dave.leigh () cratchit ! org>
Date:       2002-04-20 13:29:34

On Saturday 20 April 2002 02:26, Sven Niedner wrote:
> On Saturday 20 April 2002 04:11, Dave Leigh wrote:

> suggest some minor changes:
> > [...]
> > Otherwise, create a new directory under /mnt/named/ using the label
>
> Why not create $HOME/mounts/label for this? Write permissions to /mnt,
> with permissions for everyone to create a directory there, does not
> seem reasonble for me. In a multiuser environement, I would forbid
> this.

I think this is fine for a default, but I would allow superusers to mount
globally. The reason is that I've needed to mount disks (particularly CD-ROMs
or ZIP disks) that will need to be accessed by a workgroup. You need this
flexibility, *especially* in a multiuser environment.

> The .kdelnk file is a great idea; it could be automatically placed on
> the desktop. Or better: The icon of the device that was mounted should
> change its name accordingly to "LABEL in CD-ROM" or whatever.

Of course, I think it should remain pointing at the standard mount-point.
That way you only need to change the name of the file, and not any of the
content. (So I'm lazy. Sue me.)

--
Dave Leigh, Consulting Systems Analyst
Cratchit.org