List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Having Konqueror/kDesktop displaying media volume label
From:       Sven Niedner <niedner () physik ! uni-kiel ! de>
Date:       2002-04-20 7:26:36

On Saturday 20 April 2002 04:11, Dave Leigh wrote:
> I do like this. I'm assuming that if the CD named "Pants" resides in
> the first cdrom drive, then it's equally accessible through both
> paths.

I didn't like this at first since I saw problems in multiuser
environments. Linux/UNIX is not for the desktop only. But your solution
conviced me that this can be done completely within KDE. However, I
suggest some minor changes:

> [...]
> Otherwise, create a new directory under /mnt/named/ using the label

Why not create $HOME/mounts/label for this? Write permissions to /mnt,
with permissions for everyone to create a directory there, does not
seem reasonble for me. In a multiuser environement, I would forbid
this.

> that was extracted. Then call mount again, mounting it into the new
> location. To unmount, check the volume label. If a label is found
> then unmount /mnt/named/label and delete the directory, otherwise
> skip those two steps. Then unmount the device. Create a script for
> each removable device (or one parameterized script). Then create a
> .kdelnk file for each device and use your icons instead of those
> provided by KDE.

The .kdelnk file is a great idea; it could be automatically placed on
the desktop. Or better: The icon of the device that was mounted should
change its name accordingly to "LABEL in CD-ROM" or whatever.

BTW, why did nobody (up to now) add a menu entry "eject" to the context
menu of removeable media? This makes no sense for most floppies, but is
a nice thing for ZIP media, CD-ROMs, DVDs, etc. and I think the system
call is rather standardized. Code can be borrowed from the "eject"
utility that is availiable. (Sorry, folks -- just checked KDE3 and it's
already there -- great work!)

> Obviously this is something you'd want to have done more...ah...
> "professionally," either by KDE or by mount, but what's being asked

No, your suggestion was really professional and corresponding to the
UNIX way of doing things, IMHO.

> is not terribly difficult. The only problem is what to do with the
> dynamically created directory in the event of a crash. I'd say, log

Just check the status of each drive object when it is created, and
you're fine, I think.

> the new directory name somewhere, and provide a script to read this
> log on startup, deleting any directories it finds there, then
> deleting the log entries.

Greetings,

Sven.

--
I don't have an email address. I reached an age where my main
purpose is not to receive messages. (Umberto Eco)