List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Idea for tool preview on mouseover...
From:       Dave Leigh <dave.leigh () cratchit ! org>
Date:       2002-03-10 5:16:48

On Sunday 10 March 2002 00:01, Dave Leigh wrote:

> The point is you can't get the machine to determine what's "interesting."
> You can't even leave it up to the webmasters to mark it with metadata,
> because to them it's the revenue stream (i.e. the ADVERTISEMENTS) that are
> "interesting." They'd mark the ads to generate false hits on the adverts.
> Which begs the question what happens when the ad companies find out that
> they're paying out for ads that aren't even displayed in large quantities
> due to this technology? This is different from blocking an ad.

It occurs to me that somebody might point out that this can be used in
conjunction with ad blockers, so I'm replying to myself.

It's an escalation of technology, like war. You develop an ad blocker, so
they change the way that ads are served to get around it so that the ad can't
be differentiated from normal content. Same as when some browsers (notably
Opera) put in the feature to block pop-up ads. Now sites place the CONTENT in
pop-ups so you can't use the blocking feature if you want to use the site. My
solution is to avoid the site, but eventually enough sites will be doing it
to make avoidance impractical.

--
dave.leigh@cratchit.org
http://www.cratchit.org