List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Idea for tool preview on mouseover...
From:       Sven Niedner <niedner () physik ! uni-kiel ! de>
Date:       2002-03-09 11:03:42

On Saturday 09 March 2002 09:41, Andreas Pour wrote:
> If we could move away from the client perspective to the server
> perspective, I would probably have to shut down KDE.com if every one
> that came there with Konqueror decided to fill their pipes with
> dynamically-generated webpages.  I simply can't afford an S390 and a
> T3 line on a free (free being to the user only) site so you can save
> a second when you want to view a page.

A valid and important point. So, there are two "ways out": The first is
simply to show the information that is availiable in the document, and
maybe the results of a HEAD request. My suggestion: Make it a
tooltip-like popup, that completes itself with the information of HEAD
after a while, e. g. 2 seconds. Or: put a button in the tooltip (I am
not shure what this means from a usability standpoint), like: show more
information. Useful information would be a) if the page is available
(i. e. is it a 404? 403?), if there is a server redirection and where
it points to, and (maybe) server information.

This could be enhanced by something we already use for the smarticons:
How about a generic URL-type that allows for server-generated
thumbnails? This would be really an enhancemnent for usability, and
would not put the full load on the server. If the server provides this
information -- fine; if not, it is simply omitted.

What do you think of this? This seems to me a cleaner solution than
downloading a whole bunch if data, "just in case" it might be needed
later on.

Greetings,

Sven.
--
I don't have an email address. I reached an age where my main
purpose is not to receive messages. (Umberto Eco)