List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Idea for tool preview on mouseover...
From:       "Steven D'Aprano" <dippy () mikka ! net ! au>
Date:       2002-03-09 3:13:27

On Thu,  7 Mar 2002 13:18, Sean Pecor wrote:

> Not really. However, I can see particular scenarios where the
> cacheing can be beneficial. Say you're looking at
> http://www.lwn.net/daily, and while you open up STORY A in a new
> window to read, the other browser window is reading in the links for
> the next 'N' stories.

Great, so I have to download not only the stories that I DO want to
read, but also the stories that I DON'T want to read. Fantastic.

> So, when you get back to the daily page,
> clicking on subsequent stories renders the page instantaneously.
> Sure, we eat up some bandwidth, but bandwidth is cheap isn't it?

Sure it is. If someone else is paying for it.

> Grin. Our time isn't.

Think about it. You've got a fixed size pipe to download all those
graphics and html and Flash banners etc. What you are suggesting is
that instead of downloading pages by request, your browser should
download everything in sight. Leaving less bandwidth available to
download what you actually want to see.

So, yes, wonderful, all the pages that I don't care about will be
cached, but the pages I do want will take longer to load because half
my bandwidth is being wasted on rubbish I don't care about.

In my opinion, there are two suggestions that have come out of this
thread which are useful and practical. The first is to use tooltips
to display link information. The second, if it works, is to use the
HEAD request like a "ping" to pick broken links in advance.

--
Steven D'Aprano