List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Idea for tool preview on mouseover...
From:       Henry Stanaland <henryst () MIT ! EDU>
Date:       2002-03-06 23:10:28

On Wednesday 06 March 2002 15:15, Sean Pecor wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 March 2002 14:54, Dave Leigh wrote:
> > I'll have to withhold judgement until I think of a really good reason for
> > using that bandwidth. Right now I can't think of one. The reasons we both
> > cite above are good ones for not doing it.
>
> True, but here are some counterpoints:
>
> 1. Retrieving external link information should only be done at idle. That
> is, when the current page is fully rendered and no input is being made. It
> is at this point when the user may be reading paragraphs, staring blankly,
> etc.
>
> 2. This "cacheing" would have an additional benefit, in that the links
> requested by the user may already be transferred, thus reducing the delay
> of subsequent requests. Whether or not this would have any perceivable
> benefit would be debatable, except for "slide-show" oriented pages where
> there are a limited number of links.

1. Isn't this exactly what those "Double your surfing speed by 150% or more"
programs do?  Fetch all the next links wile you are reading, so when you
click on a link, they are mostly already cached.  It seems like too much for
large number of links(like if a search on google would start your browser
downloading every one of them just in case you click on them).  I would
only accept such a browser if it promised to keep such a cache minimal
(like 100MB or so).

2.  But if KDE develops this for free, we won't have some company try
to pawn one on us for $20 and give us all those wonderful "Increase your
surfing speed by 150%" banners when visiting your favorite site.

3. If I did have one of these programs already installed(which I'm sure are
only available on Windows), I think I might as well have the benefit of
a  thumbnail appear when my mouse hovered over the link.

4. Or, to keep things minimal, such a caching system may be usefull if it
only retrieved the HTML.  It could get images while you were reading it.

5.  Yes, "slide-show."  Something like cnn.com for example would have way
too many links per page.  But you'll have plenty of time while you read those
articles.

I think I'll go write such a caching program now.  Look forward to my banners
and to paying $20!  Just kidding, linux folks would never pay.

Regards,
Henry