List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Idea for tool preview on mouseover...
From:       Sean Pecor <sean () digitalspinner ! com>
Date:       2002-03-06 20:15:57

On Wednesday 06 March 2002 14:54, Dave Leigh wrote:
> I'll have to withhold judgement until I think of a really good reason for
> using that bandwidth. Right now I can't think of one. The reasons we both
> cite above are good ones for not doing it.

True, but here are some counterpoints:

1. Retrieving external link information should only be done at idle. That is,
when the current page is fully rendered and no input is being made. It is at
this point when the user may be reading paragraphs, staring blankly, etc.

2. This "cacheing" would have an additional benefit, in that the links
requested by the user may already be transferred, thus reducing the delay of
subsequent requests. Whether or not this would have any perceivable benefit
would be debatable, except for "slide-show" oriented pages where there are a
limited number of links.

3. I can think of next-generation uses where the link is an XML document,
which would be useful for generating complex tool tips for the content of the
link (rolling over a job on a job site would display the job salary,
location, etc.).

If these were http:// links I can think of one benefit, even if you were just
requesting the HEAD of each link. Broken links could be post-rendered in red
with a strikethrough (so you would know the link no longer exists).

Sean.

--
Digital Spinner, Inc.
Cutting edge web design and applications development.