List:       kde-look
Subject:    Idea for tool preview on mouseover...
From:       "Friedrich W. H. Kossebau" <Friedrich.W.H () Kossebau ! de>
Date:       2002-03-06 17:34:38

Hi!

Once upon a time browsing the internet I realized that you never really
know what a link points to. Yes, you can look at the browser's status
bar if available but isn't this a real break in your perception of the
viewed page? Especially with persons' names: sometimes the link points
to a page, sometimes it's a mailto:-adress. Or whether a link opens a
new window, or aims at a specific target window, opens a telnet/ssh
session, downloads a doc file, or whatever...

So, why not change the mouse cursor to something specific for the
different kind of links? Or show the preferred app's icon nearby? So you
don't have to switch your eyes' focus. And will never be surprised by
the action caused by your click.

But what would be the best solution? The changed cursor? Preview of the
tool/app? Or don't you think this is useful but causes to much optical
noise?

I would like to develop a good solution for this. Please help me,

Friedrich