List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: File dialogs functions.
From:       Rodolfo Gonzalez <rodolfo () equinoxe ! g-networks ! net>
Date:       2002-02-28 19:04:43

On Thu, 28 Feb 2002, Dave Leigh wrote:
> Hmm. I kind of like the "Recent Directories" combobox, and would probably
> like the "Recent Files" combo except for the fact that most applications

And, there're global lists, for both recent opened files and directories,
which are common for all apps. That's something I consider useful. For
example, you save a graphics file in Konqueror and then you can have fast
access to the file name in some graphic program.

> already provide this via the File menu. I'm not sure I like the arrangement.

Indeed, but in this combo you can control how many entries are displayed,
and you don't clutter your File menu with 20 or so recent files (anyway,
the time wasted in looking for a file in a list with 100 entries would be
time consuming, either if the list is in the menu or in a combo).

> I can't imagine using "Favorite Folders," as that's what symlinks in your
> home directory are for

Hmmm, I think it'd be useful for people who don't know how to use ln, as
many people coming from Windows/MacOS (they don't know what a symlink is,
maybe just what's a "direct access", and they don't know how to use them).
But anyway we already have the Bookmarks button in the dialog, so there we
have the "Favorite Folders", as I pointed before :)

> (anybody else notice that this lacks a home button?)

Indeed, but that app is for Windows 9x, and there aren't home dirs in that
system. The GIF image was a screenshot of the actual Windows dialog
modified by the File-Ex add-on.

> The additional command buttons are unnecessary.

Indeed, all of them are already there, either in the context menu or in
command buttons.

Regards,
Rodolfo Gonzalez.