List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Konqueror design proposal
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () olympusproject ! org>
Date:       2002-02-17 19:50:19

On February 17, 2002 10:46 am, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Feb 2002 01:13, Roland Riegel wrote:
> > Hi KDE developers,
> >
> > I compiled the current KDE CVS HEAD branch last night and had a look
> > at the Konqueror sidebar:
> > http://www.roland-riegel.de/konq/konq.png
>
> [snip]
>
> Before I comment, would someone like to tell me what these sidebar
> tabs/icons are meant to do?

they show different sidebar panels.. the original sidebar was getting VERY
cluttered with bookmarks, home directory, root, services, network shortcuts,
etc... people wanted some of those items, but not all.. some wanted them to
be shown some of the time, or in diferent orders, etc... the new sidebar
allows a collection of items in the tab bar that can then be clicked on to
show their items in the sidebar. adding new items is fairly easy, but could
be made easier IMO.

> They're very pretty, but not very intuitive -- at least not without
> actually clicking on them and seeing what happens.

they are intuitive if you know the kde icons.. unfortunately, i think it is
unrealistic to expect to be immediately intuitive to someone who has never
used the system.

> Is that really a Close Box in the sidebar? Please tell me it
> doesn't close the window.

it closes the sidebar.. i had a patch at one point that removed the close
button and moved it to the menu instead. the maintainer used the part that
moved it to the wrench button/menu, but kept the button... i personally don't
think the close button is a great idea...

--
Aaron Seigo