List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: KDE 3.0 Release Items
From:       "Steven D'Aprano" <dippy () mikka ! net ! au>
Date:       2002-01-26 15:55:40

Some interesting ideas Jim.

On Fri, 25 Jan 2002 05:23, Jim Doen wrote:

> With the next release of KDE coming up, I hope the following will be
> considered:
>
>    - Attractive anti-aliased fonts working properly and enabled with
> the default KDE installation.
>    - Fonts included that are easy to read.

Yes please :-)

Unfortunately it is very difficult to get the same font looking fine
when printed on a medium-res printer like a laser printer, and still
easy to read on screen. Apple spent big money on designing fonts for
their early Macs, and the best they could do was a set of fonts
designed to be easy to read on screen (Chicago, Geneva, Monaco, and
other "city" fonts) and a seperate set for printing (Times, Helvetica,
Courier etc).

As for MS's contibution, like Arial, well the less we say about that
abomination the better. It is passibly readable when printed, but
horrible on screen.

Are there any TT font design and creation programs available for Linux?
Its hard to design nice fonts if there are no tools to design the fonts
with.

>    - KDE configuration items placed in the same area -- as opposed to
> several program groups.
>    - Rounded windows (XP-style) available by default.

Why "by default"?

>    - A "system-tray" for applications that I keep open often.

I'm not sure exactly what you want this for. Can you explain further?

>    - More attractive icons used for applications.  In my opinion, the
> Home, refresh, and arrow icons have been unattractive in the past.

Hmmm. That's a matter of opinion.

Why don't you show us what you consider an attractive home icon? Then
if people like it, some friendly KDE artist might design a whole suite
of icons to match.

> This isn't really a kde-look issue;

No, but it is a look-and-feel issue.

> however, it'd be nice if the
> "Unix" copy and paste was associated with the Windows-style Control-C
> and Control-V. As it is now, Control-C and Control-V don't work a lot
> of the time since it isn't the "Unix" copy and paste that works 100%
> of the time.  Since this is the case, would it be possible to
> associate the Unix copy and paste with the Control-C and
> Control-V...?  I'm not sure who this particular request should be
> forwarded to...

There are some issues with Copy/Paste. By memory, I think the consensus
was that Unix copy and paste with the mouse should be implemented as a
seperate clipboard from Mac/Windows style copy and paste.

The Unix copy buffer should reflects the most recently selected text
(ie auto-copy of any text selected); the Ctrl-C buffer should only
reflect the most recent text explicitly copied or cut (ie manual copy
of selected text).

Jim, I suppose what you are asking for is that when the user Ctrl-Cs
some text, the Unix copy buffer should update as well? That sounds
reasonable to me, but then I don't use middle-mouse-button pasting much
so I might be missing something.

--
Steven D'Aprano