On Tuesday 04 December 2001 09:55, Sean Pecor wrote: > Hey folks, > > As I hammer away on my first KDE app, a semi-automated time tracking panel > applet, I'm wondering if a particular user interface feature is a good idea > or not: > > Bottom attached tabs? In other words, an option to dock the tabs for a > multiple document / page interface on the bottom of a frame. The standard > top attached tabs work fine, but I'm finding that my mouse cursor is most > often closer to the bottom of the screen when I need to get to a tab. If > this is often the case with most users, why not make a prototype and > experiment with it? I've often seen the position of the tabs as an option. You know how I love options! Although I typically prefer them at the top, I disagree with Marc that this is where "the user" expects them. Many applications place them at the bottom (Excel & Textpad are examples in Windows), so what the user expects depends largely on the user's prior experience. > Perhaps I'm backwards :). I have my close button (X) on the left side of > the window header away from the other buttons on the right. But it saves me > time since my cursor is usually closest to the top left when I'm getting > ready to close something down. Also prevents me from accidentally closing a > window when I wanted to minimize it, which was a rare but painful event ;) If you're backwards, then so am I. Of course, I also put my panel at the top of the screen so that the K menu drops DOWN in accordance with the laws of physics. IMHO, this is also what the user should expect. :) -- dave.leigh@cratchit.org http://www.cratchit.org "... the Mayo Clinic, named after its founder, Dr. Ted Clinic ..." -- Dave Barry