List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Suggestions on Multiple Desktops and Copy/Paste from a Mac Convert
From:       Dave Leigh <dave.leigh () cratchit ! org>
Date:       2001-10-28 22:50:19

On Sunday 28 October 2001 17:05, Mark Stosberg wrote:

> I have a feeling I'm participating in a conversation that's happened
> before, but I'll contribute my two cents any way. :) I'm a very
> keyboard-oriented person. I like to use keystrokes whenever possible so I
> can save the time of a trip to the mouse, and stay in the flow of typing.
> So not having a standard keystroke to paste bugs me and feels slower.
> (Although I don't doubt there is a way to  bind a keystroke to pressing the
> middle mouse button).

Mark, that's a problem that is outside of KDE. Within KDE you can certainly
use keystrokes, and they *are* standard. However, there are plenty of
programs out there that are NOT KDE-aware, in much the same way that early
Windows programs were not standards-compliant. This is neither the fault of
KDE nor is it a deficiency in KDE. Having the Unix copy-paste method
available overcomes this interoperability problem.

> I have discovered Klipper and like it a lot. It is in fact how I solve the
> "paste into Mozilla" problem. I have a couple minor issues related to it:
>  * I removed it's icon from the tray at some point and I can't figure out
> how to get it back. However, since I can access it via the keyboard
> shortcut still (my prefered method), I don't worry too much about being
> able to see it in the tray.

Press Alt-F2. Type "klipper". Click "Run". Klipper appears in the tray.  Log
out, checking the "Restore session..." checkbox on the dialog.  Log back in
and klipper will be restarted automatically.

Alternatively, you can create a new link to application in the Autostart
folder and start klipper that way.

>  * I like that it tries to be smart about helping me to open URLs. However,
> I was disappointed to see that it was slower to use this then to copy and
> paste the URL into Konqueror, because Klipper seems to launch a new copy of
> Konqueror  instead of talking to an existing one. (I seem to remember this
> is a known issue that is being addressed with threads vs processes).

A nice way to do this faster in the short term is to use Opera. The action I
use is:
opera -remote "openURL(%s, new-window)"  -remote "raise()"

This uses a currently running instance of Opera and opens a new child window.
It's very fast.

--
dave.leigh@cratchit.org
http://www.cratchit.org

You can't erase a dream, you can only wake me up.
		-- Peter Frampton