List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: REQUEST: 3d window and mousepointer shadows
From:       "Wilco Greven" <j.w.greven () student ! utwente ! nl>
Date:       2001-10-22 22:32:37

On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 10:51:57PM +0200, Thomas Schilling wrote:
> > Please stop whining and spreading this fud (10x faster, yeah right).
> > Remember that most people are working for fun on KDE, so they are free
> > to work on the things they like. Besides that, if you compare KDE2.2
> > with KDE2.0, you'll see that KDE2.2 is significantly faster. So your
> > statement that no work is being done on improving the speed is false.
>
> When I compare loading of some W3C documents, which are usually quite large,
> I really have the feeling it is this way. Even scrolling feels slower, but
> this my be due to smooth fonts, but it's not only that.

Konqueror might be slower than IE now. But have some patience. Look at the
amount progress KHTML has made over the last year. It can only get better
in the coming year. Then the new prelink tool, which will make your apps
startup faster, will make it into the distros (maybe RedHat7.2 has it
already).

> The point is not that Windows (or IE) is - or seems - faster. It's that I
> wondered that you're dealing with such - IMO - irrelevant things while
> there's so much to do within KDE. But maybe I should use another mailing
> list.
> Don't bother. I originally wrote to this (other mail) to make you
> suggestion. Also the last time I've read a lot of usability articles where I
> saw many examples how you could destroy a UI by making it "cooler".

This is true. Although I think KDE has always been quite conservative when
it comes to adding eyecandy (correct me if I'm wrong).

Greetings,
Wilco