List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Keyboards.
From:       Dave Leigh <dave.leigh () cratchit ! org>
Date:       2001-10-14 13:59:13

On Sunday 14 October 2001 09:38, David Golden wrote:

> Actually, (and this is straying thoroughly into off-topic-ness) one of the
> interfaces I used to really like for actually getting things done quickly
> was when there was an on-screen panel with the currently-possible actions
> on the left edge of the screen layed out just like the function-key block
> of the keyboard - which used to be a block on the left-hand-side of the
> keyboard, these days they tend to be a row along the top - you'd have to
> have a row of actions along the bottom or top of the screen to match the
> keyboard layout, of course.

XTree for DOS did this as well, only at the bottom of the screen. During the
Windows 3.x heyday XTree was my link to sanity. If you want this feature
today, better stick with "mc" at the Unix command line or "fcw" in Windows
(File Commander for Windows).

> The other thing that bugs me is the lack of a key on PC keyboards
> explicitly labelled "Help" in big letters, like the Amiga used to have.
> Big win for friendlyness.   Lots of apps use "F1" or "F12" for help - it
> would be nice if it was written on the key. :-)

That's funny. On my Microsoft Natural Elite keyboard "Help" IS written on the
key. (While MS make crappy operating systems, their hardware ain't bad.) For
other keyboards, I sense a marketing opportunity for replacement keycaps.

--
dave.leigh@cratchit.org
http://www.cratchit.org

Computers don't actually think.