List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: How close to the classic (platinum) MacOS look-n'-feel can I get?
From:       Dave Leigh <dave.leigh () cratchit ! org>
Date:       2001-09-29 13:26:04

On Saturday 29 September 2001 08:45, John Rospovitch wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I am a long-time MacOS user, which was "forced" to move to Linux. I am
> about to install KDE 2.2.1, but I would like to know how close to "The Real
> Thing" I can get. :) I understand that I can "theme" the window borders and
> desktop background so that they look like a Mac, and hide the KDE taskbar
> (which doesn't exist in the classic MacOS), which is already something very
> good. But can I have a single menu bar at the top of the screen which is
> used by the currently "active" application?

Yes, you can. Obviously, this will only apply to KDE apps, and not
third-party apps like Netscape.

In order to fully access the application menus (there's not an equivalent to
the "Apple" menu on the single menu bar) you'll probably want to keep the
panel.  It can be made tiny, and the icons can zoom to full size when you
mouse over.

I don't recall whether you can change the pull-down menus to drop-down
(auto-drop when moused over).

Out of curiosity... "forced??" How is one "forced" to move to Linux?
Although... if you'd stayed with Apple you'd be "forced" to move to BSD.

--
dave.leigh@cratchit.org
http://www.cratchit.org

If he should ever change his faith, it'll be because he no longer thinks
he's God.