List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: What config file am I editing?
From:       "Steven D'Aprano" <dippy () mikka ! net ! au>
Date:       2001-09-13 15:19:32

George Petri wrote:

> Perhaps, every KDE Settings/Configuration window should show what
> configuration file is being changed and provide a button such as "Change
> Settings with KWrite".
>
> So what does everyone think? :)

I think its an excellent idea! Perhaps the "edit file" button is
unneccessary, but it wouldn't hurt and would probably help enormously to
display the filename somewhere.

I suppose the downside is that some users will end up corrupting their
config files, which is not a good thing. That's why I wouldn't include a
button to open the file directly from the dialog, that makes it too easy
for people to meddle with things they don't understand. But to any power
user, it isn't much of a hardship to call up a prompt and open the file
with the editor of your choice.

--
Steven D'Aprano