List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] from KDE2.0.1 to KDE2.2
From:       Carlo Maria Laorenza <carlo () relazioninet ! it>
Date:       2001-09-05 6:56:51

Pam R wrote:

> On Tuesday 04 September 2001 3:59 pm, Chris Leversuch wrote:
> > On Tuesday 04 September 2001 3:21 pm, Carlo Maria Laorenza wrote:
> > > Hy all!
> > > I tried to upgrade to kde2.2 in this way:
> > > - turned off KDE2.0.1 as user
> > > - turned on a session as superuser
> > > - went in the dir were I stored all the new rpms
> > > - lunched the         rpm -Fvh *.rpm        command
> > > - ........nothing, only a lot of dependency not satisfied!!!!
> > >
> > > Any ideas?
> >
> > By doing * it won't be installing them in the right order. Try doing the
> > kdelibs rpm, then the others except the kdeaddons rpm, then the kdeaddons
> > rpm.
> >
> > I may be wrong, but that's the order you had to install from source in.
>
> No, the really nice thing about using *.rpm is that the rpm program then
> automagically works out the correct order to install everything and so avoide
> a whole mess of interdependancy problems.
>
> _but_  rpm -Uvh is better than rpm -Fvh as the F option only updates existing
> packages and won't install a new one. man rpm is you helper here.
>
> Pam
> --

Ok, Pam.
Thanks a lot for your suggestion.
I tried to launch to rpm -Uvh *.rpm command as root but the only thing that I
had  is this one:

"error: failed dependences:
            libcups.so.2 is needed by kdelibs-cups-2.2.0-20"

Where can I find this library?
Have I made all the correct things? in the right order?

You must know that I downloaded all the upgrading files from the Suse site from
this location:

ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/supplementary/KDE/update_for_7.1/base/.link/............

I got all the files in the first section (kde base packages), two from the
second (kde language support), one or two from the third section (kde
applications) and nothing from the last section.

Have I forgot something?

Bye and thanks in advance...........
Carlo

P.S.: sorry for my unexperienced and bad english........

["carlo.vcf" (text/x-vcard)]