List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] Setting up a network connection with KDE
From:       Dave Leigh <dave.leigh () cratchit ! org>
Date:       2001-09-01 3:34:27

On Friday 31 August 2001 22:25, Richard Poynder wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A possibly naive question!
>
> I have a PC with a Red Hat distribution plus KDE dual booted with Windows
> ME. The Windows set up includes peer to peer networking with another couple
> of machines in order to share resources and an internet connection (i.e.
> modem).
>
> Question: is it possible to do something similar with Linux/KDE , so that I
> can share resources and a modem with the networked Windows-only machines
> (or is peer to peer simply not possible here)?

It's possible to do EXACTLY the same thing.  I'm doing it right now.  Use
samba to establish the network shares. Look for the samba documentation under
/usr/doc/samba*.  You might also want to look at /usr/doc/HOWTO/SMB-HOWTO.
If you haven't already, install swat (the Samba Web Administration Tool).
This allows you to administer samba (establishing accounts and shares) using
any old web browser.  From the point of view of your Windows machines, your
Linux box will look like another Windows machine. Neat, huh?  Since I set
things up here KDE has evolved a bit, so there might be an easier
configuration.

As for sharing a modem, my modem is on my Linux box and I simply set the
gateway on the Windows boxen to the IP address of my Linux server and I set
up the Linux box as a gateway (I used netconf to do it). Alternatively you
can use Apache as a proxy.  If you're doing this the other way 'round, and
want Linux to connect through a Windows modem, I'd suggest that you do it in
reverse, telling the Linux box to use the Windows box as a gateway.  Again
you'd set it up using netconf.

Also, look on your CD-ROM.  I don't know what documentation Red Hat provided,
but if its anything like Mandrake's you may find a few PDF files in a doc or
ebooks directory. You might be surprised to find PDF versions of a number of
rather expensive Linux reference books (Mandrake shipped with a number of
SAMS books).

--
We give advice, but we cannot give the wisdom to profit by it.
		-- La Rochefoucauld