List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] stop empty floppy drive announcement
From:       Felix Miata <mrmazda () earthlink ! net>
Date:       2013-11-12 9:46:36

On 2013-11-12 09:01 (GMT) Duncan composed:

> 1) Removing the device-notifier plasmoid from your panel entirely /may/
> do it (or not, I can't test), but of course then you'll lose
> notifications for cds and USB sticks you plugin as well

And so not acceptable.

> 2) IIRC, there's a device notifier config available either in kde system
> settings or from device-notifier's context menu (right-click), possibly
> both, that contains a list of all previous detections and whether to
> notify about them or not.  You /might/ be able to turn it off there.

Device notifier settings 4.11.2 offers no way I could initially see to ignore
the floppy drive.

The manage notifications section of system settings just duplicates the
device notifier settings, but on further study, it appeared that selecting
enable automatic might have a combination that works. Its UI isn't clear WRT
how overrides work, or not. The main confusion is it lists unmounted
partitions configured as noauto in fstab as though they are removable media.
Turns out what I thought might work does not.

> Finally, since floppy drives are pretty much obsolete and rarely used
> these days, if you very seldom or never use it, you may wish to consider

I use floppies. In all machines I acquire that lack them, if they have a
floppy controller, an available power connector, and a place to put the
drive, I install one. Few of my machines have no floppy drive installed.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/