List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] KWrite/printer problem
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2009-10-10 1:55:41

Bruce Miller wrote:
> From: James Tyrer <jrtyrer@earthlink.net>
>> jim wrote:
>>> Running Fedora 10, KDE 4.1.2 Printer EPSON C-62 ink-jet, LP0
>>>
>>> Hope someone can help me with a problem I just noticed.
>>>
>>> When I print a text file of more than one page , the last line of
>>>  each page is missing, as well as the footer.
>>>
>>> I have been using KWrite with this printer since RedHat 9 with no
>>>  problems. KWrite and the printer have all default settings.
>>>
>>> To test, I created a text file consistig of "This is line:
>>> 1","This is line:
>> 2"
>>> etc, for a total of 69 lines.
>>>
>>> Fonts are default at Monospace/Regular/10
>>>
>>> Initially it would print the default header, and 52 lines (no
>>> footer) on page 1, Page two would start with the header and line
>>> 54. (line 53 missing)
>>>
>>> There is nothing in KWrite Settings->'Configure editor' dealing
>>> with margins. If I do Ctrl/P->'Printer Properties', and set top
>>> and bottom margins, the printing is fine but the settings are not
>>>  retained between printings.
>>>
>>> If I go to Administration->printing->printer->properties I can
>>> set margins that are preserved, but the bottom margin is ignored.
>>>  I set it to 100 points and the last line (52) is still printed
>>> at the bottom of the page and line 53 and footers are missing.
>>>
>>> Since Kedit seems to be missing in this release, I have no editor
>>>  (except vi and openoffice) to print text files, program
>>> listings, etc. (not convenient).
>>>
>>> Really getting bummed with this release of Fedora and KDE.
>>>
>> Do you have the paper size set correctly?
>>
> I have had this problem with every version of KDE 4 since the 4.0
> beta. A few months ago, I was able to work around it by setting
> specific page margins as well as header and footer sizes. However, I
> noticed the problem again with a kate document which I printed last
> week.

You shouldn't have to set margins except that there appears to be a
design error.  There are two sets of margins.  There are the ones in the
PPD file that indicate the maximum area that the printer can print
(which isn't usually the whole page) and the application and the
application's margins which are user formating.  Now you will notice
that KWrite doesn't have any place to set the user margins for formating
what you print.  So, you have to set the formating margins using the
Qt-Printer dialog.  Not a great design and since these default to the
maximum printable area, you will have to set them every time you print.

> This glitch affects all applications using the KDE print engine.

There is NO KDE print engine in KDE-4.  So, if there is a problem, it is
with Qt.

> Since I use kubuntu, I have filed a bug on the Ubuntu Launchpad.
> There is a bug on the KDE bugzilla which I have also commented on.
>
> It would be useful if you could look these up and add an "Affects me
> too" comment.

Still, the most common cause of this problem is printing to US Letter
size paper (8.5" X 11") with the print "driver" set to A4.

However, I tried it and the margins don't seem to work correctly when
printing to a file.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch