List:       kde-linux
Subject:    [kde-linux] KDE printing
From:       Bruce Miller <subscribe () brmiller ! ca>
Date:       2009-02-21 15:46:42

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

James,
I tend to lurk on the KDE Linux list. My questions (and answers) are relatively \
infrequent. I have been watching your recent posts and the replies they have brought, \
particularly from Anne Wilson. I feel compelled to take sides --- and to take Anne's \
side unreservedly. Long time lurking has shown me that Anne is consistently one of \
the most courteous and helpful people on this list. When she gets impatient with \
someone else, the other person needs to look hard at what s/he is doing.

No-one will ever claim that Linux is bug-free. Nor will they claim that it is always \
easy to configure. But the kinds of problems that you have been reporting turn out to \
be user error far more frequently than serious bugs or underlying poor design. If you \
had the experience to be able to judge whether your problems are configuration errors \
or bugs, you would not be asking questions the way that you do. The upshot is that \
you put a lot of people's backs up by writing as if you are more expert than they and \
than the collected developers and by suggesting --- which you have been doing --- \
that your problems always result from bugs and/or poor design. I can guarantee you a \
more sympathetic and a more friendly hearing if you adopt a more humble approach. \
Have you considered an approach like this?: 1)    this is the basic configuration;
2)    attempting to implement "x";
3)    have taken the following troubleshooting steps;
4)    these are results so far;
5)    request further advice

With your current printer problems, I recommend that you go back to basics:
1.    check your printer model on the OpenPrinting database. The traditional URL is \
linuxprinting.org and more recently, openprinting.org. Both resolve to \
"http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/OpenPrinting". You can establish there that your \
printer is supported in Linux and which driver works best. 2.    How is your printer \
connected?: parallel, USB or network? If it is corrected directly (parallel or USB), \
your task should be trivial; if it is network, you have more analysis to do and the \
CUPS terminology involves some "decoding." If it is a free-standing networking \
device, can you ping its IP address? If it is attached to another host on the \
network, can you ping the host? If the ping is successful, you still need to work out \
how to define the printer address in your confuration. 3.    Does your system \
recognize the presence of a locally attached printer? What do lspci -v and/or lshw \
report? If it is a USB printer, is there a /proc entry for it? 4.    Printer \
configuration is a one-time task. Since it involves hardware management, it always \
requires *_root_* access. Printer use is a user task and should always be done from \
an unprivileged account. 5.    Choose your printer configuration tool. For my money, \
the old kprinter tool was the easiest to use. If you still have KDE3.x available, I \
recommend it highly: look under the KDE Control Center or in the base kprinter dialog \
for the Add Printer icon (a wand). If you don't have access to kprinter, the \
Web-based interface to CUPS (http://localhost:631) is your next best choice. The \
terminology on the CUPS setup screens is technically precise but not always \
intuitive. But if CUPS does not recognize your printer *_and_* successfully print a \
test page, you need to look hard for a configuration error before you allege a bug. \
6.    Distribution-specific printer configuration tools tend to be more problematic \
and less reliable than kprinter or CUPS, but they can still be useful to ensure that \
your system recognizes the presence of a printer.

Setting up a printer is one of the most potentially frustrating tasks in Linux. There \
is an infamous rant by Eric Raymond several years ago about how unintuitive it used \
to be/to some people still is. Google will help you find it. But remember that Unix \
was originally written to support a typesetting system and one of its core strengths \
has always been precise control over printing.

Over the last several years, the combination of KDE and CUPS has shown itself a \
superbly reliable way to gain access to UNIX's precise control over printing. It is \
time to stop complaining about your tools and to learn how to use them as a \
craftsman.

Best regards
Bruce Miller

 --
Bruce Miller, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
bruce@brmiller.ca; (613) 745-1151

Commenting on budget forecasting on the day the budget of the Government of Canada \
was announced, a retired senior manager of Environment Canada said on the CBC that \
"economists were invented to make weather forecasters look good."