List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] Longstanding printing problems in KDE4
From:       Bruce Miller <subscribe () brmiller ! ca>
Date:       2008-11-08 16:10:01

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

I agree that there might be a problem with the setup. But I am not sure that it is a \
problem of a wrong driver. I am using the CUPS's recommended driver for this specific \
model. I print routinely with it from Firefox, gedit, and other non-KDE specific \
programs. That is why I am pointing a questioning finger at the KDE print routines.

My printer is an HP LaserJet 4L from before the Neanderthal era. (A real printer is \
at the top of the list when an expected lump sum payment arrives :-)) It is a \
parallel only printer but connected to the network with a parallel <-> Ethernet print \
server. The print server is configured with a static IP address 192.168.111.5 and \
hostname Cicero. The corresponding entry is in /etc/hosts. I can ping the printer \
routinely using both the IP address and the hostname. The print queue identifier is \
P1.

hp-setup could not locate the printer either automatically or manually.

If I recall correctly, these problems began while the printer was still connected \
directly to this Linux host and well before I got the print server. If you think it \
is useful --- and assuming I can still find a parallel cable --- I will try a direcct \
connection again.

 --
Bruce Miller, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
bruce@brmiller.ca; (613) 745-1151