List:       kde-linux
Subject:    [kde-linux] How to map "Super" and "menu" keys onto an old keyboard
From:       Bruce Miller <subscribe () brmiller ! ca>
Date:       2008-08-23 22:48:14

I would like to map the so-called "Super" or "Meta-"key --- commonly called the \
Windows key, because that is the symbol on most current keyboards --- to the \
Right-Alt key of an older PC-101 keyboard. At the same time, it would be nice to map \
the "menu" or "context" key (which generates the same keycode as right-clicking a \
mouse) to the Right-Ctrl key. To do so will help reduce my dependence on the \
productivity-destroying computer mouse.

I have tried remapping the Super Key using xmodmap, but it has never worked. Perhaps \
it was an error to declare my keyboard truthfully in xorg.conf, that is, as a PC-101 \
keyboard, not as a more modern PC-104 keyboard. I would like to do the mod at the \
lowest level possible, which would presumably be at the xorg.conf level. (What use \
does one ever make of those keys in a virtual (or login) console?)

Can anyone help me work out settings I need to implement these two extra keys?

Please forgive me if this or a similar question has recently come up on this list. A \
quick check on Google suggests that it has not. I have just returned to this list \
after an absence of almost five years (and  back then, it had a different name :-) ).

--
Bruce Miller
Ottawa ON, Canada