List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] Cannot access certain site
From:       david <gnome () hawaii ! rr ! com>
Date:       2008-04-02 12:45:24

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 April 2008 12:20, david wrote:
>> Anne Wilson wrote:

>>> In CentOS 5.1, Konqueror sets out the page fine, but all the white-text
>>> menu items do not display.  Just space where they should be.  Firefox
>>> displays it perfectly.
>> In Debian Etch lenny/sid, Konq 3.5.8 displays no white text menu items
>> unless I drag-select from "Products and Services" down a bit. Then the
>> menu items show up as selected, overlaying the text in the right column:
>>
>> http://www.clanjones.org/EnwiseInKonqueror3_5_8.jpg
>>
>> Validating it shows the usual sorts of ASPX errors.
>
> Agreed.  Using your technique I confirm that konqueror has the same problem on
> this system too.  However, firefox does not.

Better - or different - error handling would be my guess. Handling HTML
tag soup has been a problem for browser developers for a long time now.
I'm not familiar with how much the W3C standards have to say about error
handling beyond the standard guideline of "If you don't recognize it,
ignore it" (applied to tags / attributes / values). When faced with
items like missing closing tags, the browser basically has to "guess"
where the page author wanted to put the missing tag. How a browser
figures that out varies from browser to browser. IE is notorious for
accepting almost anything, partly because it's willing to take more
radical guesses (based on its programmers ideas of what users expect
pages to look like). Netscape / Mozilla were more likely to stick with
standards and simply reject the mess if they couldn't make sense of
them. I don't know where Konqueror falls on that spectrum.

--
David
gnome@hawaii.rr.com