List:       kde-linux
Subject:    [kde-linux] Kopete video
From:       Keith Powell <keith () keithg4jvx ! force9 ! co ! uk>
Date:       2007-01-01 10:58:45

When I start Kopete, my Logitech Quick Cam Chat's picture is *very*
dark. I can only just see me moving around.

So, I go to settings->configure->devices->controls. If I slightly move
the "brightness" control, the picture becomes very over-exposed and,
consequently, looks 'washed out'. Move the brightness control very
slightly again, and the picture loses its over-exposed look and
becomes normal and perfectly useable. A slight adjustment of the
other controls, makes the picture excellent. Press Apply and OK to
save the settings and use the webcam.

Unfortunately, the next time I boot the computer and run the camera,
the settings have gone, and it is very dark again. So I have to
repeat adjusting the brightness control and setting the camera up
again. I there a way of making it remember the settings?

I am using the mxhaard gspcav1-20061216 driver. I have tried other
drivers, but this is the only one which will make my web cam work.

I have tried it in four Linux distros, and have the same problem in
them all. Also, it's only with Kopete, which is the program I like
the best! I need to use the MSN protocol.

Please could anyone offer any advice?

Very many thanks

Keith